Wednesday, July 14, 2010

FBM Bike Company Polo Specific Prototype Frame


by smccormick on July 13th, 2010

It’s finally finished and we couldn’t be happier! After about a year of begging Steve Crandall and dozens of emails and phone calls with Mike Erb, we finally got it. This first prototype goes to Nick Vaughan, of Richmond VA. Keep your eyes out for this bike at the North American Championships in Madison WI (this weekend!) and the World Championships, in Berlin come August. You’re encouraged to find Nick and try it out and let us know what you think. This frame was hand made in Ithaca NY modeled after the Sword with some serious tweaks with bike polo in mind. A higher bottom bracket for less pedal strike during fast tight turns, slacker head tube angle for minimal toe overlap, shorter chain stays, long drop-outs for gearing options, v-brake bosses, Cinelli cable guides, longer top tube, clearance for 38mm tires and shorter wheelbase. This pictured frame does not include a gusset at the down tube but future ones will. I cannot say when this will be in production but hopefully by Fall you can order one, don’t ask me how much they will cost, I don’t know. I can tell you this is a gorgeous bike and the ride is incredibly nice. We do not have an official name for the frame, but all of us in RVA have been referring to it as the Battle Axe. Please feel free to spread the word about this frame, repost some photos, quote me etc. THIS IS A PROTOTYPE*

“It is fucking awesome!” says Nick “the bike told me that it loved me and would care to be intimate with me. I’m not a very sciency person but the geometry and science of this bike are awesome. All of the folks at FBM took all of the input that we gave them and then were all like “we are going to build a fucking awesome bike” the attention to detail shows in a very real way. This is how I want to feel on a bike.” -Nick

See you at the courts!

No comments:

Post a Comment